I plan on making this Instant Pot Pulled Pork with Kumquat Chutney for the New Year’s Eve. It will be appearing on our holiday table for the third year in a row, which makes me think that it’s about to become a traditional dish in my family.
Each family has its own New Year’s traditions. They are naturally shaped by means of favorite rituals being repeated, uniting family members together. These traditions are most often passed down from generation to generation.
Family traditions are important because they help to strengthen ties. This can be quite challenging if you eat differently from the rest of your family. For example, if you follow the paleo AIP diet, you have to be careful to avoid certain foods and additives, leave alone sharing traditional meals. Too sad because food preferences can become “an apple of discord.”
So, how can you rectify this situation? Depending on where you live you may have a few options available to you. For example, you can order festive meals from a reliable company, celebrate in an allergy-aware restaurant or prepare delicious meals at home. I usually use the last option, the first two not being available to me.
Mentality is changing slowly in some countries, due to many factors, among which are upbringing, traditions and so on. But I am positive that with time more and more options will be available for people with dietary restrictions!
- Wash the pork shoulder and pat dry.
- Press "Sauté" button on the instant pot and heat the cooking fat.
- Place the pork shoulder in the instant pot and brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- While the pork shoulder is browning make the sauce. in a medium bowl, whisk together the kumquat chutney with balsamic reduction, coconut aminos, ground ginger, and sage leaves, if using.
- Pour the sauce over the roast and cancel the sauté function.
- Close the lid, press "Slow Cook" button, and cook for 5 hours turning once midway. To use a pressure-cooker function, press "Manual" button for high pressure and set cooking time to 60 minutes. Once the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the shoulder from the instant pot and shred by using two forks.
- Press "Sauté" button to reduce the sauce and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and pour over shredded pork.
- Serve and enjoy!
**You can replace the ready-made orange balsamic reduction with ½ cup balsamic vinegar, ½ cup orange juice and 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest.
Looking for more delicious instant pot recipes? Then check out the Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook: