I constantly seek to include a rainbow of fruits and vegetables in my diet in order to benefit from their numerous protective qualities. For example, purple sweet potatoes are loaded with anthocyanins, antioxidants known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Anthocyanins are special protective pigments, found in purple, blue and red fruits and vegetables (blueberries, blackberries, purple asparagus, cherries and more). Purple sweet potatoes, or other sorts of sweet potatoes, are also a very good source of vitamins A, C, B, manganese, copper, iron and potassium. Purple sweet potatoes are also known as Okinawan sweet potatoes and I believe that they are one of the reasons why people of the Okinawa island have such a legendary life expectancy.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Coat the sweet potatoes and apple with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil.
- Arrange everything in a baking dish and bake on the middle rack for 1 hour, turning once halfway through.
- Cool until safe to handle, remove skin from the potatoes and apple, discard the apple core.
- Transfer all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Fill in moulds (optional) with purée and let it sit in a fridge for 30 minutes or more to set in.
*Feel free to use any kind of sweet potatoes or yams for this recipe.