Is there anything more satisfying and mouth-watering than bacon? My personal conviction is that there is no better way to start to a day than bacon-wrapped vegetables for breakfast. Indeed, tenderness of roasted vegetables coupled with crispiness and savory flavor makes this breakfast the one to die for.
Needless to say that if we have to be on the road and away from home for more than a day bacon makes its way to the foods-that-I-can-enjoy-on-the-road list. A little bit of planning goes a long way because with proper arrangements eating healthy is easy, even away from home. Staying at hotels is not an optimal solution for me so we usually end up in some sort of Airbnb. That’s true that our trips are never spontaneous, but I consider planning to be a little price to pay in comparison to the happiness that we get by traveling and seeing beautiful places!
You may wonder what do I usually have on my list, apart from bacon? First of all, I like to check if there are any grocery stores in the proximity of our stay, because it will take care of our fresh produce intake. The rest is quite simple, as I will only have to think about protein and carb part of our meals. In terms of protein I always pick a few of my favorite Epic bars because they are yummy and make a very convenient on-the-go snack. Another protein item that I love is pork skins, because they are insanely delicious! Depending on the duration of our stay I also like to have a few cans of sardines, because they are very nutrient dense and I also find them pretty tasty. To take care of the carbohydrates I usually grab several different starchy snacks, such as cassava strips, plantain strips and sweet potato chips.
In this fashion we can easily make short trips and continue to eat healthy and most importantly, without any risk of cross-contamination. And, since a good day starts with bacon I like to make it a part of our breakfast by cooking something as yummy as bacon-wrapped asparagus bundles!
- 30 asparagus stalks
- 10 bacon strips
- Wash and dry the asparagus stalks, then trim them off by removing a woody part of the stems.
- Separate the asparagus stalks into bundles and wrap pieces of bacon around each bundle.
- Arrange the bacon-wrapped asparagus bundles on a baking sheet, lined with a parchment paper and place in the cold oven on a center rack.
- Turn the oven* to 400F and bake for 15 minutes, flip over and cook for 10 more minutes or until the desired crispiness is reached.
- Serve and enjoy as is or with a dipping sauce of your choosing.