There is probably not any other dish in Russia as associated with the New Year’s Eve as potato salad “Olivier”. However, very few people know that this salad was invented by Belgian chef, Lucien Olivier, hence the name of the salad. Monsieur Olivier ran restaurant Hermitage, one of the restaurants of high standing in Moscow, and he invented the original version of the salad in 1860. Back then, the original salad contained different proteins, such as veal tongue, grouse, duck and caviar but later on these fancy ingredients were replaced by the cheaper ones.
I used to enjoy salad “Olivier”, but since it contains nightshades it became just a memory once I started the AIP diet. Indeed, nightshades are not recommended on the autoimmune paleo diet, because they are notorious to increase inflammation and being prone to the inflammation… so, they are on my list to avoid. However, this year I decided that the upcoming Christmas and the New Year’s Eve is a good enough reason to spoil my household with the Russian-style potato salad, or I should better say notato or fauxtato salad! Luckily, there are so many potato substitutes out there, therefore there is really no reason to feel deprived even on the strict AIP diet! I used arrowroots in this recipe, but feel free to substitute them with other vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, plantain, etc. Even though traditional salad “Olivier” contains sausage, carrots and eggs, I decided to go with its lighter version this year as there are many variations of this salad!
- 1 pound arrowroots, cooked, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery stalk, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup pickled cucumbers, diced
- ¼ cup capers
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ cup paleo mayonnaise (recipe below)
- ¼ teaspoon wasabi powder*
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Lemon juice, for serving
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger or to taste**
- In a large serving bowl combine the arrowroots with celery, onion, cucumbers, capers and dill.
- In a small recipient whisk together mayonnaise with wasabi powder, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and sea salt. Add the mayo mixture to the salad and stir to incorporate.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and ground ginger, serve and enjoy!
**Use black pepper to season if not on the strict AIP.
Variations: replace arrowroots with cassava or white sweet potatoes and/or add ½ cup diced beef tongue.
❄ Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! ❄